We continue with tips and keys to choose a good children’s book or juvenile. This week we will focus on books for children 2-3 years of age. First I will explain a little how the stories should be for these ages and then I will show you my selection.
As I mentioned, the success of choosing the books will depend on their liking for reading, the evolution of their tastes, their reading skills and other aspects linked to the benefits of reading and habit reader.
If you want to laugh or learn, think or excite, enjoy or discover, … Everything you will find in the readings, the important thing is to give with the story that invites all that.
There is a book for each reader and, above all, for every moment reader.
Requirements for a good book from 2 to 3 years:
It is a good time to start in the stories sequenced (start-knot-ending), always supported by very suggestive illustrations. It is good to read more than once the same story, increasing the content of history, so you can participate progressively and strengthen concepts.
They still like books that talk about their everyday environment, but they begin to be interested in characters and fantastic situations, so we can introduce, for example, the classic tales.
The proposals should be brief and simple concepts. We will be able to increase the length of the text and the complexity of the images according to the maturity of each child.
We must look at the minimum of two to three new words for the child. With that we reinforce early literacy and expand their vocabulary.
We will continue with simple texts, with rhythm and rhyme. Also cumulative to encourage repetition and dialogue.
We can start with the books with paper pages. Although hard cardboard books continue to be very suitable, especially for their strength and durability.
To introduce all kinds of formats, to keep from surprising them and encourage them to continue reading: books-game, with textures, pop-up, scanimation (or optical effects), with tabs or windows, with moving parts, folding, to read Dark or make shadows, With textures or smells, …
We can begin to introduce books that talk about their physical and/or emotional development, to see that they become older, they are more autonomous and can do things alone: diaper removal, arrival little brothers, start school, … and in general, any activity that is Learning to do.
Also informative books to understand the world around them and about colors, numbers, animals, contrary, alphabets, …
To draw your attention nothing better than the interactive books or that you can manipulate. Also with themes in line with their in-tresses.
They continue to love books featuring animals or with sounds or real images (photographs).
And here I leave a selection of 23 books for children from 2 to 3 years:
1. “Mini-POPs Collection” by Combel: several classics in a short version but with 5 pop-up scenarios that excite the smallest. Also in a very good size so you can easily manipulate it. There are the following titles: The Little Red Riding Hood; The Three Little Pigs; Goldilocks and Cinderella
2. “El Pollo Pepe” by SM: This book with Pop-up is a guaranteed success, I told you recently in its review.
3. SM “Cuckoo Collection”: Books in the style of one of the best-known children’s games, the hideout. With pull-down and Onomatopoeias tabs. First you see the animal covering the face with its paws and asks the reader who it is. For example: “Wow, wow, who am I?” When the tab is displayed, the animal is discovered. Very participatory and ideal to increase vocabulary. You can see the titles available on the publisher’s website.
4. “Collection The Little Edu” or “collection The small Marine” of Publisher Youth: Some books starring a boy or a girl that shows us the typical situations of everyday life of all small. With very tender drawings and little text. Children are identified and learn in a fun and entertaining way about the world around them and are also accompanied in difficult times such as going to the pediatrician, leaving the pacifier or removing the diaper.
5. SM “Lulu Collection”: A series of books where the fun protagonist Lulu learns a lot of things (colors, clothing, food, sounds, numbers, …) and also gets older (goes to school, uses the potty or learns to dress and eat). Very interactive and with flaps. Some even with mechanisms (type zippers, loops, …) to practice skills and develop skills. They tend to love kids. You can see all the titles here.
6. “A book” by Kókinos: with a single yellow dot, the author manages to captivate the reader (big or small) and direct it to an incredible interactive experience, proving that there is no need for great means to make reading a game and a pleasure. Simple, magical, surprising, captivating, intelligent, … On our list of indispensable.
7. “We go to the party” of the collection “to observe!” of Edelvives: on each page we find a lot of nice repeated animals, but some have small differences. Guided by the author’s questions, we must find out these differences. Great for enhancing children’s ability to watch and broaden vocabulary. A very fun and entertaining book, at the same time didactic.
8. “La hazelnut”, by Kókinos: This book we love at home, is ideal for the little ones because the illustrations highlight on the white background and it is very easy to concentrate on it. It also has a repetitive and cumulative structure so that the kids can learn and participate in the narration. You can see it inside in our review that we also accompany a very cool Loupe book.
9. “The cake is so high” of youth: Text and illustrations play with repetitions and accumulations to build a fun story with surprising end. You can see some pages here.
10. “The small White Rabbit” of Kalandraka: A Story of courage and bravery where the small animal manages to win the game to the great. Fun and great for these ages because it plays with the rhymes and the sonority of language, that helps the little ones to acquire phonological consciousness.
11. “We will hunt a bear” of Ekaré editions: A father and a mother, accompanied by their three children and the dog, decide to go to hunt a bear. But they will find some obstacles in the way. Perfect for reading aloud and for laughing with rhymes, verses and Onomatopoeias. There is a piece that is repeated and can be sung. Here I leave a video.
12. “The Farm of Dinosaurs” by Blume: Colorful book where two themes that love children are joined: the farm and the dinosaurs. A very original proposal. The kids love to accompany this farmer on his hard day at work. You can see some interior pages here.
13. “The Wolf arrives!” Edelvives: Funny story where what it seems is not what it is: children will be surprised to see that animals are not really scared because the wolf comes, but they are preparing a birthday party because they are very close friends. Simple and not very extensive text.
14. “No Need for The voice” of OQO Editor: A super Tender book where very humanized animals do the typical things of a family: go to the park, have an ice cream, bathe, … and also have moments of great affection because affection is essential for the Emotional development of the little ones: it gives them security, self-esteem, trust, … Very very nice and gives rise to a lot of interaction with children. You can read more about it on the publisher’s website.
15. “Can I look at your diaper?” by SM: Fun and endearing book that can also help children in the process of leaving the diaper. A very curious mouse wants to see that they carry the animals in their diaper, this opens (through a pestañita) and you see the poop they have done. They all take less of the rat himself, because he has used the urinal. They love it!
16. “Paco and the Orchestra” by Timunmas: a book with sounds and music, highly recommended. Interactive and very participatory, to begin to awaken his musical sensibility. On each page you discover a new instrument that you can hear by pressing a button.
17. “La Casa de Tomaso”, by Edelvives: A house with many doors and windows that can be opened and closed for the amusement of the little ones. Also a drop-down and, on the last page, a pop-up of the house. With rhymes and parts that are repeated allowing the child to memorize and participate.
18. “Hen Thief”, of Books of the Red Fox: a book without text but that tells us many things, because, sometimes, things are not what they seem. A fox has stolen a hen and runs away. The Friends of the hen are not going to allow it, but when they manage to catch it, they take a big surprise. Being without text, that book is a fantastic resource to involve children in storytelling and to encourage language acquisition and the expansion of their vocabulary.
19. “The Folding House” of the publishing yard: a folding book-game that is transformed into a three-dimensional house. Addition includes a search and find game, as it proposes a series of objects to look for. A very complete book: We work the concentration and increase vocabulary, at the same time that they offer a lot of game and entertainment. There’s also “the Farm-drop.” You can watch a video here.
20. “Sad Monster, Happy Monster” Ocean crossing: A book about the feelings that all monsters experience (and, of course, all children). Each page describes 4 situations where the monsters experience the same feeling (happy, affectionate, sad, angry, …). The book incorporates 7 masks that represent these moods. This is how the little reader is invited to recognize and express all the emotions through the game.
21. “Collection of the books of the stations” of Anaya: Some books without text, of large size and pages of cardboard, with very detailed images of each season of the year. Countless characters, situations, scenarios, adventures, … Ideal to spend hours observing the different scenes, developing the capacity of observation, the analysis the images, expanding vocabulary and basic concepts on the stations, the life in the city, the relations between the people, the phenomena Atmospheric, …
22. “Shhh, we have a plan” of Milrazones: Fun and at the same time endearing. With a very original and attractive graphic proposal for children. Also with a simple and repetitive text, ideal for the little ones, that anticipate what will happen, interacting and participating in the narration. Available in paper and also in hard carton. There are others from the same author, all highly recommended: Books Chris Haughton.
23. “My first book of …” “, Eric Carle, of Kókinos: 4 cardboard books with the pages cut in half, so that you choose a shape (or number, or color or word) at the top, and you must find its corresponding in the illustrations on the bottom. Fantastic, like all Eric Carle’s.
Is your child between 2 and 3 years old, what is your favorite book? I’d love to know! Good readings;)
If you want to buy one of these books, I recommend you go to your trusted bookstore, there you will find them all, or you will be delighted. If that is not possible, clicking on the title of the book you will access the Affiliate links of the blog (Amazon). What is that? You’ll pay exactly the same and I’ll receive a small commission that will help me continue this project. Thanks in advance! ***